The introduction of Self-Service continues to advance people management.
The benefits of Self-Service for employees is being able to get answers to their questions on demand. With a Self-Service portal employees can easily access things like:
- Overall compensation
- Vacation and time-off balances
- Company policies, and so much more…
Understanding the Benefits of Self-Service
It's important to recognize the benefits of Self-Service to your organization as a whole. By offering an employee portal your company will:
- Be able to provide timely, effective communication to the entire employee team regardless of time zones
- Realize improved data quality as information can be collected at source directly from the employee
- Reduce administrative costs and tasks as your people management team no longer has to spend time re-keying data or looking for a copy of an employee’s missing tax slip
- Increase employee engagement by integrating it into their daily routine for things like checking their schedules or entering time-off requests
Important Considerations for Self-Service Implementation
All of those benefits sound great – but in order to achieve them you need to have a Self-Service roll-out plan that employees will embrace. Here are a few items to consider:
- You need a plan to ensure your employees embrace using Self-Service, that includes identifying early adopters who will promote it, communicating successes (e.g. since implementing self-service our companies paper costs have gone down by 25%), and you need a training program and materials so that new employees can start using it immediately
- You need an integrated database for your Payroll, HR and Time & Attendance information – if you have multiple disparate solutions and employees need to log into multiple platforms it will frustrate them
- The Self-Service user interface needs to be easy to learn and navigate
- Your Self-Service needs to be accessible by employees anytime, anywhere and from any device
In my opinion, Self-Service is going to continue to provide the biggest opportunity for employee engagement. What started as a one-way feed of information has now become a two-way communication portal. I have seen Self-Service go from being only for employees to now including applicants so they can maintain a relationship with your organization.
When implemented correctly, Self-Service provides huge value to all of your stakeholders.
Keep On Reading
Check out our free guide on how to reduce your 6 most time consuming Payroll tasks.
About the AuthorMore Resources by Marlo Hertling